A random view of a gamelan-playing, food-loving linguist from sunny Southern California.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

I can cook really well, but...

For some unknown reason, I cannot for the life of me make decent-looking kimbap (김밥) or makizushi (the sushi that comes in seaweed rolls). They all looked fucked up whenever I try to make them. But tonight I think I've narrowed the culprits down - either really tough seaweed or really mushy bap/sushimeshi/seasoned rice... Too bad. My nigirizushi, on the other hand, are quite well-formed. Go figure...

Anyway, this past Sunday, instead of watching the self-serving Oscars, I went to Oxnard with a couple of friends to have dinner at Swan BBQ, the best nearby Korean restaurant (and by "nearby", we're talking about 30-40 mins here). Of course, I ordered the beef tongue (again), while other people weren't getting plates of grilled meat but other dishes (personally I was sort of disappointed since that meant that I would be grilling alone :( .) The food, as expected, was great. And we actually managed to finish our panchan and two plates of kimchi! (Yay for kimchi!) Anyway, I'm planning on doing this (at least) once a quarter - Korean food tends to be quite expensive. However, you do get your fill if you manage to eat the panchan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home