A random view of a gamelan-playing, food-loving linguist from sunny Southern California.

Sunday, January 23, 2005

The SB Film Festival is a few days away...

And I'm getting psyched. There's a whole section dedicated to Asian cult films this year - I'm going to see a couple of them. I'm also planning to see last year's Cannes Film Festival winner, a revenge thriller from South Korea called "Oldboy". (What's the Korean name, anyway?) I've heard it's rather violent, but that's okay, as long as it's not framed as a horror movie. I just can't handle a lot of horror movies - my imagination is just too active and vivid for such things. But I've gotta see this one. There's also a rather bizarre film from Japan with an equally bizarre title: "Survive Style 5+".

Tickets are rather expensive - $10 a pop - but at least these are movies that I would gladly pay such a sum to see. I might get a four-ticket pass - I think it would save me some money in the long run. Generally, I just can't believe that most films nowadays are $9 during prime movie showings... And for such crap! Call me a movie snob, but I just dislike around 95% of the stuff that comes out from Hollywood - I'll go for a foreign film each time, especially those from Asia.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ed said...

올드보이지요? Sorry, I just had to make that stupid joke ;) I bought my 4-show pass today - I think it's the nicest deal for those of us who can't make it to all the movies (wouldn't that be the sweet life) but would like to make it to more than one or two movies.

10:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home