A random view of a gamelan-playing, food-loving linguist from sunny Southern California.

Friday, November 19, 2004

Arrgh!

Well, my connection at home isn't working today, so I can't do much right now.

Anyway, rehearsal was really good last night. We played that spiritual piece, and it sounded quite mysterious on the instruments here. The notation, though, had people in stitches. Usually, notation for Javanese gamelan looks like this - for you number-phobes out there, you might want to go to another site for now ;) (Yes, we "play-by-number", so to speak.) It's not code, I swear!


-3-2 -3-2 3132 -1-(6)

And so on...

But the notation for the special piece (from the Sekaten repertoire) looks like this:

311 311 3231 <6>, 636 525 535 (5)

Commas and bracketed numbers? What has the world come to? ;)

Anyway, I promise I'll get some photos soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home