A random view of a gamelan-playing, food-loving linguist from sunny Southern California.

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Coffee-driven gamelan!

Had a rather good rehearsal tonight with the UCSB Javanese Gamelan. We started a bit late, but then, that would be the standard m.o. in Java. Anyway, we played a couple of zany pieces - the one that is really stuck in my mind now is called "Kopi Susu" (Coffee With Milk), a modern piece written by Pak Cokro, a venerated composer who just turned 100 (Javanese?) years (yes, he's still kicking). This has got to be the craziest piece I've heard in all my years playing. Lots of pitch 4's - a very dark pitch in Javanese gamelan. Also, the words go something like "Kopi susu, paling enake gulane batu..." [Coffee with milk is at its most delicious with rock sugar...] The most random lyrics, I tell you. Hmm, that reminds me: I think I'll make a good pot of coffee tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home