A random view of a gamelan-playing, food-loving linguist from sunny Southern California.

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Language classes

I have a minor issue with most language classes. I find that most of the talk that goes on in these classes is only relevant to the classroom, with little practical use. For example, this term I'm taking a beginning Korean class. I finding it quite simple, since 1) I'm a linguistics guy and 2) I took Japanese (which is structurally very similar) a long time ago. However, I feel as though I wouldn't be prepared at all if you placed me in the middle of Seoul, left to my own devices to get food, accommodation, and so on. Sure, I could say what my major, school year, and class schedule are -- but to ask for a train ticket, no way man!

I found myself in this very same position four years ago in Kyoto, Japan. Luckily, I was able to read the menus and order food, even in places that had no English menus, since I (still) enjoy reading cookbooks and other books related to food, especially those written in other languages. (Gokuro sama deshita, Ryouri no Tetsujin!) But I was at a loss when I tried to buy a special "hikari" shinkansen ticket from Kyoto to Narita via Tokyo... This was even more frustrating since I was traveling with five other friends who couldn't speak or read any Japanese at all.

Anyway, my Indonesian learning experience was really different in this regard. The textbook did not only have "classroom" and "cafe" conversations; it also had conversations about more practical things like "renting an apartment", "at the train station", "riding the bus/taxi/becak", and so on. I really liked those lessons...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home